Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Another gem from our elected officials...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member R13's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2007
    Posts
    10,269
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Another gem from our elected officials...

    But it's okay since most here are Christians right?

    BIRMINGHAM, Ala. ? Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley told a church crowd just moments into his new administration that those who have not accepted Jesus as their savior are not his brothers and sisters, shocking some critics who questioned Tuesday whether he can be fair to non-Christians.

    "Anybody here today who has not accepted Jesus Christ as their savior, I'm telling you, you're not my brother and you're not my sister, and I want to be your brother," Bentley said Monday, his inauguration day, according to The Birmingham News.

    The Anti-Defamation League on Tuesday called Bentley's remarks shocking.

    "His comments are not only offensive, but also raise serious questions as to whether non-Christians can expect to receive equal treatment during his tenure as governor," said Bill Nigut, the ADL's regional director.

    Speaking at Dexter Avenue King Memorial Church after the official inaugural ceremony, Bentley told the crowd that he considered anyone who believed in Jesus to be his brothers and sisters regardless of color, but anyone who isn't a Christian doesn't have that same relationship to him.

    "If the Holy Spirit lives in you that makes you my brothers and sisters. Anyone who has not accepted Jesus, I want to be your brothers and sisters, too," Bentley said.

    After his speech, Bentley said he did not mean to insult anyone.

    Responding to questions about it, Bentley's office released a statement Tuesday saying he believes "he is the governor of all of Alabama."

    "The governor clearly stated that he will be the governor of all Alabamians ? Democrat, Republican and Independent, young, old, black and white, rich and poor. As stated in his (inaugural) address, Gov. Bentley believes his job is to make everyone's lives better," the statement said.

    Ashfaq Taufique, president of the Birmingham Islamic Society, told The Birmingham News he wasn't sure how Bentley's remarks were intended.

    "Does it mean that those who according to him are not saved are less important than those who are saved?" Taufique said. "Does he want those of us who do not belong to the Christian faith to adopt his faith? That should be toned down. That's not what we need. If he means that, I hope he changes it. We don't want evangelical politicians. They can be whatever in their private life."

    The official with the Anti-Defamation League, which fights discrimination against Jewish people, said it sounded like Bentley was using the office of governor to advocate for Christian conversion.

    "If he does so, he is dancing dangerously close to a violation of the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution, which forbids government from promoting the establishment of any religion," Nigut said.

    New Ala. gov: Just Christians are his family - Yahoo! News

  2. #2
    Inactive Member 1inStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2002
    Posts
    12,052
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Another gem from our elected officials...

    I don't really see anything wrong with what he posted or was offensive. He made a simple statement, and even clarified it by saying that he wanted all to be his brothers and sisters. He didn't say he was forcing anyone to, or hated those that weren't.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

  3. #3
    Inactive Member R13's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2007
    Posts
    10,269
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Another gem from our elected officials...

    I guess you wouldn't from viewing it from that side, but it shows where his priorities are, sadly the view of many of our officials.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member 1inStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2002
    Posts
    12,052
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Another gem from our elected officials...

    Seriously, what's the problem? He isn't trying to force anything on anyone. Its no different than really when the President says God Bless or anything else. It is not like he is saying, he is only going to provide for those who are Christians and burn those at the stake or aren't. Nothing about that should be considered offensive. If a Muslim was elected Gov, and made those comments I would feel the same way. They would have the right to say it.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

  5. #5
    Inactive Member R13's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2007
    Posts
    10,269
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Another gem from our elected officials...

    Wow. Seriously? AGAIN, it shows his position on who's he's pandering to and who is his first priority. No one is saying he said any of what you just did and yeah, he can say whatever he wants, don't know where you're getting that that's being argued otherwise. If a Muslim official had said this, there would be complete and total outrage - as in a push to force his resignation to death threats. Like I said, if you're Christian I would suppose to wouldn't find it offensive either, but when you're on the other side you'd see a big problem with his comments.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member 1inStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2002
    Posts
    12,052
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Another gem from our elected officials...

    Doesn't all politicians pander to someone? Thats a ridiculous statement. All pander to someone, but that doesnt mean they still won't make hard decisions that are right for the people the represent, in this case the state of Alabama.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •